This chicken noodle and broccoli casserole is easy to throw together and it's also perfect as a make-ahead dish. You know that during the work week I like a dinner that come together quickly with as little clean-up afterwards as possible. You can make it on the weekend and pop it in the oven a day or two later or even freeze it for a few weeks and then defrost it in the fridge the night before. It's also flexible and not fussy on the broccoli. You can either steam fresh broccoli or use frozen. Notice I topped only half the casserole with sliced almonds. The kids won't eat nuts but the adults in the house love that little bit of a nutty crunch.
Gather up your ingredients:
Follow the directions on the egg noodle package and add the broccoli in during the last 5 minutes of cooking to blanch it.
Drain the egg noodles and the broccoli.
Spray non-stick spray on a baking dish and add broccoli and egg noodles.
Melt butter and whisk in flour salt, and pepper until it makes a paste.
Add milk, stirring until it becomes thick and bubbly.
Remove from heat and add in cheese, stirring until all combined. Then add the chicken and pour over the noodles and broccoli. Arrange the casserole evenly in the pan. If desired, top with sliced almonds. Or be weird like me and only do half of it. Sprinkle some paprika on top. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly.
If you love this chicken noodle and broccoli casserole, try this chicken and rice casserole.Print
Chicken Noodle and Broccoli Casserole
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings
- Category: chicken
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
2 cups medium egg noodles (uncooked)
2 cups frozen or fresh broccoli
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups whole milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (sharp or medium)
Non-stick spray for baking pan
¼ cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
½ tablespoons paprika (optional)
- If cooking immediately, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions and add broccoli the last 5 minutes. Drain noodles and broccoli.
- In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, melt butter and whisk in flour salt, and pepper until it makes a paste. Slowly add in milk, whisking and combining together until the mixture becomes thick. Remove from heat and add in cheese, stirring constantly until fully combined.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Add chicken, noodles, and broccoli to baking dish. Add cheese mixture to the top of the chicken, noodles, and broccoli. Using a large spoon, arrange casserole evenly in the pan. If desired, top with slivered almonds and paprika.
Cook 20-30 minutes until heated through and bubbling.
- If not cooking immediately, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 1-3 days or the freezer up to 1 month.
If freezing, defrost in the refrigerator 24 hours before cooking.
Keywords: chicken noodle and broccoli casserole, chicken casserole, chicken and broccoli casserole, casserole with noodles, easy casserole