This New York style cherry cheesecake is one I grew up eating. I honesty have no idea where the recipe originated, as it was passed down through my family. It can't be too old since it calls for a box of cake mix. Normally I will not use cake mix as I prefer to make my own, but this recipe just nails it. The cheesecake can vary in three different sizes, depending on what you have on hand and your preference. You can make it in one 13x9 pan, one large springform pan, or 2 9" cake pans. If you use the cake pans, remember to split the crust evenly between the two and split the batter and topping evenly.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Gather up your ingredients.
Gather your ingredients and grease whichever size pan you like best. Remember that if you're using a springform pan, it's a good idea to cover bottom and sides with aluminum foil so you catch any drips when it bakes in the oven.
Measure out and set aside one cup of the dry cake mix.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the rest of the cake mix, egg, and oil. When the mixture is combined and crumbly, press it evenly into the bottom of the pan and then half way up the sides. This will be your delicious crust.
In the same mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and sugar. Mix until smooth. Add the remaining 3 eggs, one at a time and then add in the remaining cake mix. Mix for 1-2 minutes on medium. Turn the mixer down to low speed and add in the milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Once the cake mix is fully combined and smooth, pour into the crust. (remember if you are using two pans to pour it evenly into each)
Bake at 300 degrees for 45-55 minutes. The cheesecake is ready when the center is firm. Let cool.
Top with 1 can of cherry pie filling. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve chilled.
To store, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days.Print
New York Cherry Cheesecake
Easy New York Cherry cheesecake made with boxed yellow cake mix and topped with cherry pie filling.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
1 box of yellow cake mix
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 8oz. packages of cream cheese (softened)
½ c. granulated sugar
1 ½ c. whole milk
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 can cherry pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease either a 9x13, two 9-inch, or one springform pan.
- Set aside 1 cup of dry cake mix.In a mixing bowl, combine remaining cake mix, 1 egg, and the vegetable oil. Mix until combined and crumbly. Press the crust mixture into the greased pan, covering the bottom and pressing half way up the sides.
- In the same bowl, blend the cream cheese and sugar. Add the remaining 3 eggs, one at a time. Gradually add in remaining cake mix. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Turn to low speed and slowly add the milk, fresh lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
Mix until smooth. Pour batter into crust.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 45-55 minutes. Cake is ready when the center is firm. Let cool and top with the can of cherry pie filling. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.
To store, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days.