Fresh blueberries are everywhere! I love it! I love cooking with fresh, seasonal ingredients and what better way to use up a boatload of blueberries that with a blueberry buckle. Simple to make and it’s so good as a breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Gather up your ingredients for the blueberry buckle:
And for the topping:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and use non-stick spray on an 8″x 8″ baking pan.
Toss the blueberries in a sprinkle of flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the batter. Set aside.
Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
Cream the butter until it’s fluffy, then add the sugar and keep mixing until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add the egg and lemon zest.
Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
Fold in the blueberries.
Spread the mixture into the baking pan. It will be a bit thick so smooth it out evenly in the pan.
For the topping, mix together the melted butter, sugars, and cinnamon.
Sprinkle on top of the batter and bake for 40-45 minutes. The blueberry buckle is done when a cake tester comes out clean.
Let pan cool on a wire rack and then slice and serve.
HINT: You can use frozen blueberries too. Just be sure to coat them in the flour mixture. This helps to keep the berries from sinking to the bottom of the blueberry buckle.Print
Easy blueberry buckle recipe with a hint of lemon. Perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
For the batter:
¾ cup white sugar
¼ cup butter
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon flour
1 3/4 cups fresh blueberries
For the Topping:
¼ cup butter + 1 tablespoon, melted
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8″ x 8″ pan with nonstick spray.
- Gently toss the blueberries with about a tablespoon of flour to coat. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and slowly add the sugar and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and lemon zest.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spread the batter into the 8″ x 8″ pan, spreading evenly. Batter will be thick.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the topping and spread evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Blueberry buckle is ready when a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let pan cool on a wire rack and then slice and serve.
Blueberry buckle will stay fresh in a refrigerated, sealed container for 3-4 days.
Keywords: blueberry, buckle, breakfast, coffee cake